Cambridge Paper Labels
The CAMBRIDGE trademark was registered in 3 classes:
The registration states that the trademark (shown in figure 1) "has been used and applied to said goods in applicant’s business since 1927. The trademark is applied or affixed to the goods or to the packages containing the same by placing thereon a printed label on which the trademark is shown."
The search for actual label usage we found four different versions, each one with a slight variation from the preceding version. All versions contain the word CAMBRIDGE and the symbol and are printed with black ink on yellow paper.
The oldest label (figure 2) has the word TRADEMARK added to the registered version. It appears as two words, one on each side of the symbol. It measures 9mm X 16mm. This label was not found in any trade advertising, but it was the oldest version on the basis of the pieces observed with this label. Since it did not appear in the advertising, there is no indication of the date of discontinuance.
The next version (figure 3) is the same as our oldest label with the addition of the words MADE IN U. S. A. along the bottom of the oval. This format has not observed on an actual CAMBRIDGE MADE IN U. S. A. label. It did appear in trade advertising from February through April, 1930 only. It is doubtful that this label was used for such a short period of time. It is more likely that the label came into use on the goods prior to its introduction in the advertising.
The third label (figure 4) has the word GENUINE added at the top of the oval. The GENUINE CAMBRIDGE label appeared in the trade advertising May, 1930 through February, 1932. It measures 11mm X 17mm.
The forth and final known version (figure 5) measures 11mm X 19mm. The modification to this format came with the addition of the words HAND MADE after GENUINE at the top of the oval. In the trade advertising, the earliest occurance was in April, 1932. Usage of this label continued through 1937. In January, 1938, an article in a trade publication announced to the glass trade that Cambridge had adopted a new paper label. Discontinuance of the label at this time was confirmed in both trade and national advertising.